Sunday, March 13, 2016

Workbasket Magazine's Two Tone Coaster

This is the "Two Tone Coaster" from Workbasket Magazine's book "Tatting Patterns: The Classic Collection" (part of their Aunt Ellen's Treasury series).  I used a smaller thread and did it in all white, and I think it makes a lovely snowflake.  I suspect that with some careful pinning, I can coax the large loops into diamonds when starching.  I love the nested shapes (flower-hexagon-flower-honeycomb) and contrast between the dense and open areas.
Workbasket Magazine_Tatting Patterns_two color coaster

Sadly, this is yet another out-of-print book and the Amazon used price has gotten crazy.

9 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and unusual. Like you, I'm enchanted by the contrast of dense versus open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very pretty design. I, too think the nested shapes and contrast in texture between the dense and lacier areas is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had good luck using
    bookfinder.com
    especially when out of print prices seem so high. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finally getting back into tatting after a few years hiatus and found your link on Pinterest. LOVE this snowflake!! Starching techniques have changed a lot since I started tatting 30 years ago. Do you mind telling me what you use? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And welcome back to the enjoyment of tatting. :)

      I have not yet starched any of the snowflakes I'm posting here - I'm just blocking them (get them wet, gently pull into shape & open picots, place between paper towels and under a book so they dry flat and in position). When I starch, I cook a cornstarch and water mixture (about 2 tbsp. cornstarch to a cup water) until it turns translucent. Keep stirring while it cooks or you'll have a burned lump at the bottom of the pot. Then I let the snowflakes soak up the starch, blot off the excess, gently shape the snowflake and open picots, then pin them out on a blocking board. Pinning allows the tatting to be stretched a bit more and will allow sharper angles. I always pin inside the curve of a chain or ring, not into picots, so the picots don't get stretched out of shape. My blocking board is just a piece of foam core covered in plastic wrap so the snowflakes don't stick to the paper.

      Delete