Sunday, April 17, 2016

Tina Fraubergers' motif #53 (filigree snowflake)

Some years ago I was able to glance over a copy of the July 1996 edition of Knots and Notes.  I was struck by this pattern and jotted it down.  My notes did not include the name of the motif, but it was originally from Tina Fraubergers' book "Schiffenspitze" published in Dusseldorf in 1921.

Edit:  Mimi kindly notified me that Georgia Seitz has posted a scan of Tina's book at http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/tinafrauberger/fraubergerschiffchenspitze1921.pdf.  This is motif #53 on book page 54.

I have since noticed that the stitch counts are identical to the Small Cross in Mary Konior's book "Tatting with Visual Patterns", though obviously there are slight differences in the arrangement of rings and chains to make it six pointed. I have to wonder - was one inspired by the other?  Or is this another case of great designers arriving at a similar look and count independently, as seems to happen so often?

I like the look of this motif with longer joining picots instead of my normal microscopic ones (it seems to benefit from the open airy look - like filigree or wrought iron) and this time I tried twisting them before joining.  Some picots are bumping into the chain above; I'll fix this with pinning when I starch it.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting discovery and beautiful snowflake -- your tatting is always impeccable !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done, and an improvement over the original. Georgia Seitz has a scan of that book on her site: http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/tinafrauberger/fraubergerschiffchenspitze1921.pdf

    The inner round is on page 53 (scan page 30) and the full motif is one page 54 (scan page 31). What I liked best was on page 55 where Frauberger combined 6 motifs into a center less doily. Thanks for the inspiration to go down the antique pattern rabbit hole :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for providing a link to the original source! I'm intrigued by the other, completely different snowflake on the same page which is made in the same way and with the same round 1 (and the matching squares on book page 47).

      Delete