Sunday, April 24, 2016

Mary Konior's Spinning Wheel Glass Mat

Occasionally a "snowflake" which doesn't have six sides slips through...this one is Mary Konior's Spinning Wheel Glass Mat (aka a coaster) from her excellent and sadly out-of-print book "Tatting with Visual Patterns."  I've seen a number of people posting photos of these lately (especially Diane) and finally tatted up my own.

I was a little surprised how small it was; the pictures I've seen look bigger.  I used an unlabled vintage thread which I'm guessing was either size 20 or 30 and it was just over 3.5 inches/ 9 cm.  It also took some coaxing to get it to lie flat with my tension; I was in a hurry blocking and it's still a little ruffly.
Mary Konior_Spinning Wheel Glass Mat
Then I tried another one with fewer picots so they didn't bump into each other (because I am Sarah, Remover of Picots!) and I think it emphasizes the shape better. 
Mary Konior_Spinning Wheel Glass Mat variation
I may try a larger one as a small doily, per the excellent idea Batty Tatter shared (here) to enlarge the pattern by doubling the length of the arms.

I can only hope this book is reprinted, as it's a wonderful book of patterns but has become prohibitively expensive. 


3 comments: